Will this product satisfy all of MSHA's New Miner Training Requirements?
This product is intended to be utilized for at least the first 4 hours of the 24 hours of training required by the U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOL) Mine Safety and Health Administration’s (MSHA) regulations. However, MSHA requires training that is specific to each mine site that this program cannot address. In addition to this training, operators must train employees on all required topics required by 30 C.F.R. §46.5(b) and 30 C.F.R. §46.5(c).
Each person at a mine site is responsible for ensuring that health and safety standards are observed at all times. The employer is accountable for providing information, instruction, and supervision to all workers. A competent person(s) is obligated to ensure all workers are properly trained and are compliant with regulations. Mine employees are responsible for observing all standards and practicing safe work habits.
Your company must have a training plan that lists this training, is administered by a competent person, and complies with 30 C.F.R. §46.3. In addition, you must complete a training certificate or an MSHA form 5000-23 which meets the requirements of 30 C.F.R. §46.9.
How long will this training take?
The New Miner Training will take four hours at minimum, although the length of time it takes each participant to complete the training will vary.
What topics are covered in this training?
|MSHA CFR §46.5 Required Training
|Corresponding Training Module
|Introduction to the work environment
|Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: Mining Environments
|Recognition and avoidance of electrical and other hazards
|Module 3: Hazards
|Emergency medical procedures; escape and emergency evacuation; fire warning signals and firefighting procedures
|Module 4: Evacuation Procedures
Module 4: Firefighting Procedures
|Health and safety aspects of the tasks to be assigned
|Module 5: Task Training
Module 6: HazCom & GHS
|Statutory rights of miners and their representatives
|Module 7: Statutory Rights
|Authority and responsibilities of supervisors and miners’ representatives
|Module 8: Line of Authority
|Rules & procedures for hazard reporting
|Module 9: Rules & Procedures
|Module 10: Respiratory Devices
|Module 11: First Aid
Will I receive a completion log?
Yes. Once you complete the training you will receive a printable Training Log which tracks the total time spent in the program and the time spent on each module.
How do I hold a group training session?
- After purchasing a group license, login with your email address at www.minesafetyinstitute.org/log-in.
- Once logged in click on “Group Leader” in the top navigation menu.
- Enroll new users by entering the first name, last name and email address of the attendees or import a CSV file (see the format in the sample csv file).
- Once you have entered all the users, click “Add All Users” to add these users to training session.
- Click on the “Enroll” button to start the training session. Note – this will reset any pending trainings. So, be sure to mark pending users as complete BEFORE using this button. Also, do not click this button midway through a class/course. If you plan to train attendees separately please have them login using their individual email addresses.
- Click the “Start Training” button to go to the Course Dashboard and start the course.
- Once the course is complete, visit the “Group Leader” page again and click the “Mark Course Complete” link next to each of the attendees’ names.
- Click the “Training log” link next to each attendees name to print their Training log.
Read more of your Frequently Asked Questions.